Structure and Scoring
- To win any of the prizes, members must help out in at least one of the races organised by the club: Handicap, PYG, Settle Hills, Ingleborough. (NB. Although many members help with the Austwick Amble, it is not a club race).
- Runners best 4 counters to score, which must include at least one of each distance, (short, medium, long) plus one other which may be the Open race.
- Scores will be calculated as a percentage of the overall winner’s time – calculated separately for males and females.
- This format is aimed at having a better focus to the Club Fell Champs series of races.
The system is based on each runner’s time relative to the overall winner of the race in their gender category.
The benefit of this percentage based scoring system is that members will consistently score a similar number of points in each race. This gives a more accurate representation of relative abilities across the year if everyone completes the championship. There will be recognition of participation, but not through points, contributing to the running championship.
How does the percentage points system work?
- Take each person’s time and divide by the winning time (male and female separately).
- This means converting the two times into seconds to be able to do the division.
- Then you divide 1 by this number and then multiply by 100 to get the person’s score.
- This is a system used for the Lakeland Classics Trophy, orienteering events and quite a few other clubs. The examples below illustrate the method, but calculations will all be completed by the co-ordinator and shared on a regular basis.
A person wins the race.
Their time divided by the winning time is obviously 1.
1 divided by 1 multiplied by 100 gives 100 points, so anyone actually winning a race scores 100 points.
A person takes twice as long as the winner.
Their time divided by the winning time is 2.
1 divided by 2 multiplied by 100 gives 50 points.
A person takes half as long again as the winning time.
Their time divided by the winning time is 1.5.
1 divided by 1.5 multiplied by 100 is 66.667 points.